CDC – Extreme Heat Media Toolkit: Heat and People with Chronic Medical Conditions*
July 5, 2012
People with a chronic medical condition are less likely to sense and respond to changes in temperature. Also, they may be taking medications that can worsen the impact of extreme heat. People in this category need the following information.
- Drink more water than usual and don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink.
- Check on a friend or neighbor, and have someone do the same for you.
- Check the local news for health and safety updates regularly.
- Don’t use the stove or oven to cook——it will make you and your house hotter.
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Take cool showers or baths to cool down.
- Seek medical care immediately if you or someone you know experiences symptoms of heat-related illness. (*Good information for everyone)